1. Farmingdale Airports:
Located in Farmingdale, Long Island, the Republic Airport is a historically significant airport region and worldwide, having played both civilian and military roles. But long before it became an airport, it went up to the manufacturers who built airplanes.
"The Industrial Revolution and Aircraft Manufacturing came to Framingdale during World War I, when Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Bryce established their pioneer enterprises in the community," wrote Ken Newbek and Leroy A. Douglas in his book "Aircraft Production in Farmingdale" (Arcadia, Publishing, 2016, p. 9). "They were attracted by the presence of two branches of the Long Island Railroad … the upcoming Highway 24, which welcomed truck traffic to the Ninth Street Street Bridge in Manhattan, the level wash level, which provided land for flying fields, and proximal workers for skilled workers. . "
The region's first airport roots, however, were already planted in 1917. Lawrence Speary Aircraft, which was incorporated that year with a $ 50,000 fortune and located in the streets of Rose and Richmond in the village of Framingdale, produced its first plane in the form of a messenger.
Designed by Alfred Werweil of the US Army Corps of Engineers at McCook Field, the tiny 17.9-meter, bi-directional, is designed for "air motorcycle" missions, picking up messages from field commanders, and then earning its name. The farming roots of Farmingdale were equally cultured by Sydney Breese, whose airline Air, located on East Parkway, designed the penguin. The similarity between the plane's middle plane, a 28-cylinder two-cylinder engine with a crude engine, was an unintended pre-flight trainer meant to assist in the passage of the US military into operations. Deployed on the open prairies of Texas, he prepared a wingspan too short to produce lift, but allowed young models to get a feel of aerodynamic forces before flying on their horizontal tails. Of the 301 produced, only five were used for this purpose; Reminder placed in storage.
2. Fairchild Airlines:
If Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Bryce left the Fermingdale Airport Foundation, then Sherman's Fairchild based it.
Initially interested in aerial photography equipment, he founded Fairchild Air Camera in 1920, selling two such devices to the military, and developed the company more into Fairchild Aerial Surveys to engage in map design when he received a contract for 20 More.
Seeking to replace the myriad of types of aircraft is operated with one specially designed camera platform, Fairchild invented the required specification for one, but could not find a manufacturer capable of building it at an affordable price. He had to do it himself, and he set up his third airline, Fairchild Air, and moved to the book factory in South Fermingdale, which resigned as a result of the tragic death of the founder of Spree in December 1923.
One- Directional, designed by FC-1 and flown for the first time in prototype form in 1926, they presented a closed, heated chamber to protect the pilot and his photographic equipment, but the original OX-5 engine proved insufficient. Retrofitted with higher capacity than J-4 Wright, it was re-FC-1A.
Production version FC-2, supported by wheels, floats or skis, in increasing cell volume. Powered by a 200-Hight Wright J-5, the aircraft, designed for commercial operations, described a total length of 31 feet and 44-meter wingspan. According to a single pilot and four passengers, or up to 820 pounds of cargo, he had a total weight of 3,400 pounds and could reach a maximum speed of 122 mph and run sections of 700 miles.
Demand for the South Farmingdale plant soon eclipsed capacity. In the area, Fairchild himself chose an area of 77,967 acres on the south side of Highway 24 and Conklin Street in East Farmingdale, a pre-offering site, South Beach Winds and multi-floor land access using a rail line and main route, Route 110, which will facilitate both manpower And raw material for the new field.
"Fairchild Airport 77,967 dunams was developed at the end of winter and early spring 1928 and was originally owned and operated by the Fairchild Motor and Aircraft Manufacturing Company, "according to the Long Island Republic Historical Republic Company." The first flights from (this) occurred at (late) in 1928 after the Fairchild aircraft The Fairchild plant was completed and aircraft were produced (there) Fairchild built a model 41, 41A, 42, 21, 100, and 150 aircraft … "
Wings, like those of the Hampstead lowlands to the west, Again from the Long Island farm fields, built, driven and supported, respectively, by Fairchild Aircraft Factory, Fairchild Motor Factory, Fairchild Wild Field, after Faircamild Realty, Inc., acquired the land and The initial deployment was established at 3 in November 1927.  Although Fairchild & # 39; Wilde produced multiple models of its new center of Long Island airport, its roots were quickly proven. In 1331, after only three years, it cleared up its facilities, almost immediately returned by the American company, or AVCO, whose aircraft and engine divisions produced the Pilgrim 100 transport to American Airways. But the economic crisis, which brought too much bite to the economy, significantly reduced demand, as aircraft purchases were high on the company's reduction list, and its presence was shorter than Fairchild's. By the middle of 1932 he had disappeared equally.
3. The Grumman Aircraft Engineering Company moved to the east, to Fairchild Field Flying, and housed in the former Fulton Truck Factory, where it first hatched its production fighter, FF-1. Powered by a single, 750-hight Wright engine, the biplane, with removable bottom, was also offered a scout observation, such as the SF-1.
The most significant plane from East Farmingdale, however, was the duck. In order to find its sources in the XO2L-1 company of engineering engineering for aeronautical engineering, it was submitted to the US Navy in 1931, but since Lonning himself had no facilities for its construction, he approached Leroy Grumman, his former college, who submitted it differently. On April 25, 1933, the biplane, called the XJF-1, was operated by a dual-purpose duplex engine of 700-hp, powered by a standard Hamilton standard propeller. His hoops, made up of one set of struts, the outside of the fuselage, and the other, of wires, between the two wings, were tiny for his day. The water operations were supported by a central junction, under the body of the plane, to which the carriage retreated.
Overall, 632 JF and D2s Ducks were produced, pressed into a world-class, multi-service service.
Despite the presence of Grumman & Farmingdale surpassing that of all others, it soon ended after half a decade, in 1937, when it moved to a larger headquarters in Bethpage, Long Island.
4. Seversky Aircraft Corporation:
Seversky Aircraft Corporation took the next stage stage in Farmingdale when it moved away from College Point in Queens, the former US plant catcher corporation.
Ace Sikorsky, Alexander F., De Sversky, like Igor Sikorsky, emigrated to the United States from Russia, and in 1923 developed the first bombs to be placed in a gyroscope in the company's book telescope before setting up his Seversky Aero Corporation, which focused on instruments and parts.
Dropped with fresh capital, he initially occupied EDT Corporation's factory of the EDO plant.
His first major design, the SEV-3, was elegantly aerodynamic in a gradual fashion, reflecting the intuitive nature of Seversky. , 420-hp, mounted on the nose, Wright J-6 vortex, all metal plane, low wing, accommodate pilot and two passenger skaters, tandem cockpit beaches, supported by Egypt Floating wheel wagon, and in 1933 founded A global co-prepared. Two years later, on September 15, she sustained speed of 230 mph air.
The basis of many subsequent versions, which introduced only slightly minor changes to the basic design, it evolved into the next large iteration, BT-8. As the first all-metal, closed cockpit design powered by the Air Force's Air Force, it introduced a 24.4-meter length and 36-meter wingspan. Powered by a 400-hp Pratt Whitney R-985-11, the 4,050-pound plane, containing two, had a maximum speed of 175 mph. Thirty were built. This led to a final version.
Originally a 2 hanger catcher on a new road and today used by the American Airpower Museum, Seversky Aircraft Corporation took over the Grumman plant in 1937 when it was transferred to Bethpage, thus maintaining two facilities. But, echoing the brief history of East Istanbul airport residents, it came to a sudden end: Although Svorsky, like many other "geniuses" of "aviation", had the planning skills needed to create advanced aircraft, necessary to create a sound and profitable business plan Marketed them, resulting in a loss of $ 550,000 by April 1939. While conducting a sales tour in Europe six months later, on October 13, he was deposed by his board, which indicated his exclusion from the company he had founded.
Restructuring, it was rebranded "Republic Aviation Corporation".
5. Republican Airlines:
Fairchild's capital Flying Field was about to change. Provided by World War II, the young Republican airline would explode in size and its roots would be planted so deeply in Farmingdale, for it would be decades before they could be discovered.
Instrumental in this war was the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
Sversky's S-35 was the result of the Air Force's requirements, which included an air speed of 400 km / h, a 25,000 ft. Service ceiling, at least six and a half caliber machine guns, shielding armor protection, self-fuel tanks, and
The P-47 Thunderbolt Republic, which dwarfed all other aircraft, was the world's largest, heavy, single-engine, single-seat combatant strategist in World War II, offering unparalleled diving speed.
The growth of food called "Airport of the Republic" officially announced at length of the company's existing plant on the south side of Conklin Street, and the construction of three additional buildings, the installation of a tower control, and The company has completed an expansion of its existing routes, all in an effort to support P-47 production, which amounted to 9,087 units in Framingdale alone and requires a workforce of 24,000 to achieve up to 1944. Workers are filtered by thousands every day. , Which were transferred by the Air Force Service Pilot, or WASP. The Medical Republic, one of the country's main defense agreements, drew a man-machine to the farmlands of Framingdale and turned them into an arsenal of democracy within 18 months.
"By 1945, the Republic had contributed more than 30 percent of the air force's fighters to the war effort against the Luftwaffe in the skies of Europe," Leroy wrote. Douglas in the article "Conklin Street Cut-Off" published in the September 1984 issue of Long Island Forum (p. 182). "The Republic, the Raring and the 23,000 workers plus – more than half of them women – did their part to win the war."
When World War II doors were closed, so did those of the Thunderbolt plant, and the Republic was forced to diversify its product range in terms of purpose and powerplant, converting the Douglas Douglas C-54 Skymasters to commercialize DC-4 jets, which produce 1,059 2D planes And trying to design a traveling transport of its own.
The resulting plane, the XF-12 Rainbow Republic – along with competitors, and it operated in the same manner, Hughes XF-11 – both received a contract for two.
The graceful lines of the Lockheed, Keshet, which offers a total length of 93.9 meters, combined with the design experience accumulated during the development of the Republic's fighter jets, influenced the appearance of the Aviation Weekly and Space Tape. It reported, "The sharp nose and cigar shape The XF-12's rollers fulfill a designer's dream of uncompromising design in aerodynamic considerations. "
Peace proved the enemy of the plane. The closing of World War II eliminated its need (and the equivalent of Hughes XF-11's). Because of his long, fast and intense ability, day and night, the ability to tour the limited visibility photographs, she was ideal as a mapping platform for territory. Indeed, on September 1, 1948, the second of the two planes built, he photographed his flight route from the Air Force Center for a flight test in Murrock, California, to Mitchell Field in Garden City, Long Island, during Operation Bird Eye.
Back to its military roots, the Republic entered the pure jet era with the successor P-47 Thunderbolt.
With a length of 37.5 meters, the design, conceived shortly before the end of the war in 1944, retained the straight wings associated with propeller planes. These covers 36.5 feet.
First flight On February 28, 1946, the 19,689-pound fighter jet, designed for the F-84 Thunderjet and capable of climbing 4,210-fpm, set a national speed record of 611 km / h, as operated by 3,750-pound J35-GE 7. Its range was 1,282 km and its service ceiling was 40,750 ft. Its production amounted to 4,455 units.
The development of its successor began in 1949. Due to a lack of funding from the Air Force, the Republic has reduced development costs by maintaining uniformity , With 60-percent, with the F-84, but introduced drift wings.The plane, powered by an Allison XJ35-A-25 engine, with a 4,200-pound engine and 1996, flew for the first time on June 3 of next year , Three months before his name was changed to F-84F Thunderst
Korean Korean War-sparked uploads allowed the Republic to complete a second prototype, which first flew on February 14, 1951 with the YJ65-W-1 engine, followed by the first production example, which took the sky on 22 November 1952. This type Was imposed by NATO countries during the Cold War.
F-84F Production Thunderstreak Total 2,713 aircraft.
Never, Ken Newbek and Leroy A. Douglas summed up the production of Republican-based aircraft by mentioning his book, "Making Aircraft in Framingdale" (p. 7-8) "While the airport began in Farmingdale with planes covered with cloth and biplanes and engines, after World War II assisted the republic transferred the United States into the jet age with the F-84 and F-84F, which helped US forces in Korea and NATO countries in the 1950s .
6. Fairchild Republican Corporation
Although Fairchild left the airport he created in 1931, this absence was short-lived, and three years later, he lived in a factory His former cars as the new Ranger aircraft of the Ranger company set up an engine and stayed there until 1948. But, for the second time, history was due to be fully recyclable.
Buying Hiller Helicopters Nine years later, it became Fairchild Hiller, and in July 1965, she acquired most of the shares of the Republic, and as a result Fairchild Aviation Division of Fairchild Hiller Fairchild returned to the land where he planted his first seeds. She continued her shopping campaign, acquired the Swearingen and the production and marketing of 19 passengers, twins-turboprop Fairchild-Swearingen aircraft and passenger plane.In the following year, the company adopted the official title of "Fairchild Republic."  The basic design, which was proven prior to the acquisition of the Republic, was born by the Air Force to the demands of the next Air Force, which combines simplicity, ease of maintenance and short field performance, to operate from close air bases close to the battle line.
Dedicated A-10 Thunderbolt II and enjoyed production of 733, it was instrumental in the Gulf War during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
7. After the war:
Although the Republic Republic and its airlines were mainly related to military aircraft design and production, some commercial divers and aerospace components also emerged from doors.
Integrating the Boeing 747, for example, were leading edge plates, trailing edge fertilizers, spoilers, and ailerons built by the Aviation Department of the Republic of Fairchild Hiller, while he was also committed to providing a similar role to its proposed but warned , A supersonic plane 2707.
No less integral to the space shuttle were the Fairchild components produced in the Farmingdale Republic.
After awarding a $ 13 million contract by Rockwell International in Los Angeles on March 29, 1973, Fairchild Hiller designed and developed six vertical aluminum tail stabilizers that provided leading edges of 45 degrees and were measured at 27 Meters 22 meters long, at Hangar 17, along with spokesmen associated with their speedbrakes. The first, installed on the Enterprise Test Vehicle, facilitated the launch of its atmospheric platform on the 747 pig backed on Edwards Air Force Base on February 18, 1977, while the others were mounted on space shuttle Columbia, R., Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavor.
Expansion of the initiative of a passenger plane initiated by Metro Swearingen signed an agreement with Saab-Scania of Sweden on January 25, 1980 to launch the SF-340, becoming the first full joint venture between the US and Europe and the airline manufacturer. ; Child has contracted to design and build its wings, engine Niklas, and vertical and horizontal tail surfaces, with final assembly in Sweden.
Fairchild Swearingen is the responsibility of marketing for North America, while a Swedish-owned joint venture, Saab Fairchild HB, has set up an office in Paris to fill this role elsewhere.
Powered by twin turboprop engines, the plane accommodated 34 passengers in a four-axis configuration The Central Passage
After the completion of about 100 wings, however, Fairchild completed her work in a contract on the regional plane, a withdrawal from all civil projects, and the aircraft was redesigned to the Saab 340.
8. Roles Variables:
Passed Lapid Ownership On 31 March 1969, the Republic's airport was subsequently operated by the MTA, which continued to make it an entity for public use by purchasing 94 acres adjacent to the US government and purchasing 115 apartments Additional privacy in the south and southwest.
"The Metropolitan Transportation Authority took the title to the Republic Airport as a first step in its transformation into general aviation (field)," according to the Long Island National Society – The Historical Republic.
In creating a modernization program, he made some improvements. High intensity lights were installed on a 5,616-foot track route 1-19 and 6,827 feet in orbit 14-32, for example, the latter of which was also equipped with an instrument landing system (ILS). The Fulton auto factory, the original airport building from 1916, was destroyed, while Flightways transformed an area of ten acres on the north side of Route 109 into a complex of new hangars, management structures, fuel storage tanks, and aircraft-downs. In 1983, a government building, a two-way terminal and maintenance was opened, not far from it, and shortly before, the operational phase of a 100-meter FAA control tower.
To promote the economic development of the surrounding area, New York State legislation transferred to the ownership, for the third time, the Department of Transportation of the State of New York (DOT) on April 1, 1983, a member of the Airport Council of the Republic. This has severely cut the momentum for modernization.
Indeed, eight years later, $ 3.5 million, a 25,600-square-foot Gramman hangar corporate, replacing the aircraft storage facility previously maintained its closed airport now and home page Beechcraft King Air, a Gulfstream I, and two The British spacecraft BAE-125-800s, opened.
In April 1993, the ground was broken for a $ 3.3 million, 20,000 square foot SUNY Farmingdale Aerospace Education Center on the east side of Route 110.
Million Air, a subsidiary of Executive Air Support, built an 11,700 square foot exclusive terminal air hanger corporate On the south end of the airport, and by 2001, Air East commanded its operations, a new, heated radiator, a 10,000 square foot hangar, which was also featured in a 2,500 square foot shop and 4,500 square feet office and flight school. Another complex in the hangar and offices, located in the Lambert region, opened its doors in June 2005, when Talon Air, a charter company, began operating.
In order to provide increased clearance required by the latest generation of business jets, such as Gulfstream V and Bombardier Global Express, tax B (bravo) was transferred.
Indeed, more than $ 18 million in capital improvements have been made since 2000 alone.
These improvements, the airport supply for its new role, general aviation, may have been an early sense of things to come.
In 1982, the Fairchild Republic won a contract to build two new generation of Air Force T-46A aircraft training; But the landmark, initially envisioned as a monetary exchange, only provided the opposite effect: Although the prototype first rolled three years later, it was missing some 1,200 parts, and despite the second successful flight, a 24-minute flight in July 1986, The contract for the program, with disputes, was taken, resulting in layoffs of 500 employees.
Like so many companies dependent on military contracts for survival, the Republic of Fairchild, without choice, ceased to exist next year, leaving its Nabatean factories and heritage, which began six decades ago. Ironically, the two names that were the most instrumental in the beginning and the growth of the airport – Fairchild and Child and Republic – were the two involved in killing him. הדלתות של פרק מטוסים ופרמינגרים של מטוס פרמינגדייל, שנסגרו לראשונה, נפתחו.
"עם החברה שחוותה בעיות כלכליות גדולות בשנים 1986-1987 ועם אובדן התמיכה בתוכנית T-46A בקונגרס, פיירצ'יילד ביטלה את ייצור ה- SF-340 ו- T-46A לאחר בניית ארבעה מטוסים בלבד" לקן ניובק ולירוי א. דאגלס בייצור מטוסים בפרמינגדייל (עמ '99). "כך, בסתיו 1987, שבעים שנה של ייצור מטוסים פרמינגדייל הסתיים עם תעסוקה אובדן כלכלי לקהילה ואת המטרופולין בניו יורק."
בשנת 1966, שנה לאחר העברת הבעלות על נמל התעופה של הרפובליקה מ – Fairchild Hiller ל – Farmingdale Corporation, היא תוכננה באופן רשמי מתקן תעופה כללי (אזרחי), המציב את הנחיתה הראשונה שלו, של Beechcraft דו – מנועי המופעל על ידי Ramey Air Service מ Islip, ב -7 בדצמבר. כדי להפוך אותו לשער על ידי הקלת חיבורי תעופה בשלושת המשרדים הראשיים בניו יורק, רשות התחבורה של מטרופולין התקשרה עם Air Spur כדי לספק שירות מזין זה ארבע שנים מאוחר יותר, והעריכה 12 דולר חד-כיווני.
למרות הרפובליקה מעולם לא דמיינה כמו שדה התעופה המסחרי הגדולות, מרכז לונג איילנד מיקום, קרוב לפרוזדור כביש 110, ותשתית סבירה להציב אותו מוגבל, מתוזמנת שכר שירות ליעדים עסקיים ופנאי מרכזי בתוך המדינות השכנות. עם זאת, ההגבלה התפעולית הגלומה בה צוינה בתמציתיות ב -2002.
"בנמל התעופה של הרפובליקה", הוא הסביר (פרק 3, עמ '8), "מחלקת התחבורה של מדינת ניו יורק יישמה הגבלת משקל מטוסים של 60,000 פאונד בשנת 1984. הגבלת המשקל הזו מגבילה את פעולת המטוסים מעל ל -60,000 פאונד המשקל ברוטו בפועל ללא הסכמה בכתב של מפעיל שדה התעופה ".
" תחזיות מעידות כי תהיה עלייה במספר המטוס הסילון הממוקמים בנמל התעופה של הרפובליקה ", נאמר בתכנית המתאר החדשה", וכן עלייה מטוסים ", כפי שהוכח מאוד בנתונים הסטטיסטיים השנתיים של ניתוח סילון טהור: 2,792 בשנת הכספים 1986, 4,056 בשנת 1990, 4,976 ב -1995 ו -6,916 ב -1998. ומספר המטוסים השנתיים הממוצע שלה – כ -500 פלח זה היה גם הגידול המהיר ביותר: 10 מטוסים סילון בשנת 1985, 15 בשנת 1995, ו -20 בשנת 1998. מספר זה מאז יותר ויותר הוכפל.
אחת הנסיעות הראשונות של חברת התעופה נעשתה ב -1978, כאשר חברת קוסמופוליטן איירליינס, שהפעילה קו-פייר-קילו-340 של פיניר לשעבר ושני מטוסי מטרופוליטנים לשעבר מסוג Swissair CV-440 בתצורות חד- כולל יום אחד, חבילות שכר מתוכננות לאטלנטיק סיטי ממרכז השמים הקוסמופוליטי שלה. העלון שלה יעץ: "טוס לאטלנטיק סיטי תמורת 19.95 $ נטו, וכאן זה עובד: שלם 44.95 $ עבור כרטיס טיסה הלוך ושוב לאטלנטיק סיטי, כולל תחבורה קרקעית אל המלון וממנו בקלארידג ' , אתה תקבל 20.00 $ במזונות מזון ומשקאות טובים בכל מסעדה מלבד הביתן בלונדון, כמו כן תקבל זיכוי טיסה של $ 5.00 טוב למאבק הבא שלך לקלארידג 'בקוסמופוליטן איירליינס. "
המוביל גם ניסה בקצרה להציע שתי נסיעות יומיות מתוזמנות מדי יום לבוסטון על קורות חיים CV-440 נוסעים שלה בשנת 1980.
להקל על הגידול המתוכנן השירות היה בניית מסוף הנוסעים.
"מבנה הטרמינל, שהושלם ב -1983, כולל כ -50,000 רגל רבוע של שטח רצפה ושימוש בשירותי רכב תעופה, תחזוקה, הגנה מפני אש, מסוף ציבורי ואזורי השכירות בקומה הראשונה, 70 עובדים בבניין ", על פי עדכון תוכנית התעופה של הרפובליקה של שנת 2000 (פרק 1, עמ '17).
בנסיעה להקים קישור בין פרמינגדייל לבין שדה התעופה ניו יורק מטרופולין ניו יורק של ניוארק הבינלאומי כדי להאכיל את יציאותיה, PBA Provincetown בוסטון איירליינס שירות הסעות עם מטוס נוסעים Cessna C-402, חיבור בלונג איילנד באמצעות 30 -המירוץ האווירי הזעיר עם עד חמישה טיולי סיבוב יומית ותיאום לוחות זמנים עם חברת התעופה PEOPLExpress. היא פירסמה הימנעות משעות הנסיעה, עלויות החנייה, והדרישות לביצוע צ'ק-אין ארוכות יותר, הקשורות בדרך כלל לשימוש גדול יותר בנמל התעופה, והציעו את הנוחות של בדיקת הכרטיסים, הכרטוס והמטען לכל יעד סופי של PEOPLExpress.
על פי לוח הזמנים של המערכת הצפונית שלה ב -20 ביוני 1986, היא הציעה את פרמינגדייל, ב -07: 00, 0950, 1200, 1445 ו -1755.
ביקשה עד מהרה להחליף את ה- C-402 עם אימפר EMB-110 Bandeirante.
כל אלה ניסיונות מתוזמנים קצר, נכשל, ביטול התושבים המקומיים & # 39; חשש כבד כי הרפובליקה תהיה להתפתח מאוד לשדה מסחרי גדול לנפח את הרעש על מכתבים קרובים קרוב, לא למשוך את התנועה הדרושה כדי להפוך אותם תמיכה עצמית, תוך שימת דגש על מספר גורמים ספציפיים לנמל התעופה.
1). הרפובליקה היתה קשורה באופן עקבי עם פעולות כלליות, ולא מתוזמנות, במהלך החלק האחרון של ההיסטוריה שלה.
2). לונג איילנד מקארתור כבר ביססה את עצמה כמתקן המסחרי הראשי של האי, ונושאות, כפי שהוכיחה על ידי Precision / Northwest Airlink, לא זכו להיתרון בהכנסות על ידי דילול אותו שוק, ועדיין גרמו לעלויות גבוהות יותר של שדות תעופה ותפעול.
"שדה התעופה של הרפובליקה יש שירות על ידי חברות תעופה שונות וכל אחד יש הפסיק שירות …", על פי 2000 תוכנית התעופה של הרפובליקה הרביעית עדכון. "אזור שוק שירותי ההסעות מוגבל, מבחינה גיאוגרפית, תוך התחשבות בנמלי התעופה הגדולים יותר, כגון לה גרדיה, קנדי ומקארתור והשירות שהם מציעים".
"מאז 1969, נמל התעופה של הרפובליקה איכלס את הצורך האזורי בשדה התעופה המוקדש למטוסים פרטיים ועסקיים, וכן לפעילויות שכר ותיירות נוסעים", נאמר גם (פרק 1, עמ '1). "כי הרפובליקה ממוקמת בעיצומו של מגורים, מסחר ותעשייה פיתוח, תפקידה אינו עולה בקנה אחד עם זה של שדה התעופה המיועד האוויר עבור תחבורה סילון מסחרי."
עם מספר הנוסעים השנתי גדל באופן עקבי – מ 13,748 בשנת 1985 ו 30,564 בשנת 1990 ל 33,854 בשנת 1995 – תפקידה בעתיד העתיד לא ניתן לשלול לחלוטין.
"בעוד המאמצים בעבר על ידי חברות התעופה לא הצליחו, פוטנציאל שירות עתידי קיים והוא צריך להיחשב בתכנון לנמל התעופה", סיכם (פרק 2, ע '10).
בניגוד לשדות של רוזוולט וגלן קרטיס, שנכנעו ללחצים בעידן המודרני והחליפו את המסלולים שלהם לקניונים, הרי הרפובליקה של 526 דונם מסרה רק חלק קטן ממנה למרכז הקניות איירפורט פלאזה. Instrumental in early-aviation development and in the Korean, Vietnam, Gulf, and Iraq wars, it transformed itself into a general aviation facility, peaking with 546-based aircraft and becoming the third-largest New York airport in terms of movements after JFK International and La Guardia.
Billing itself as "the corporate airbridge for Long Island's 21st-century economy," this westernmost Long Island general aviation facility accounts for 1,370 jobs and $ 139.6 million of economic activity, supporting 60 on-airport businesses. The 110,974 movements recorded in 2008 encompassed 52 by non-rigid airships, 7,120 by rotary wing, 76,236 by single-engine pistons, 6,310 by twin-engine pistons, 5,028 by turboprops, and 16,228 by pure-jets. The latter, its second-highest total, emphasizes its increasing role as the "Teterboro of Long Island," possibly pointing the way to its future. Indeed, companies considering the area for their corporate locations cite the airport as a major asset, since it provides close-proximal aerial access for personnel and materials.
Toward that end, the State of New York approved funding in April of 2009 for a Vision Planning process to collect data from residents, employees, businesses, and users, and then plot its future course. Specifically, the program had a three-fold purpose-namely, to define the airport's role, to determine how it will fill that role, and, finally, to ascertain how it will work with the community to attain the desired operational and economic goals.
"As part of the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS), Republic Airport is designated as a reliever airport with commercial service," according to the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update (Chapter 1, p. 1). "Under ownership by the New York State Department of Transportation, there are specific state development and policy procedures which are followed."
Although it may never eclipse its current general aviation role, its importance was not to be underestimated.
""Republic Airport is an important regional asset," it stated (Chapter 1, p. 1). "It provides significant transportation and economic benefits to both Suffolk and Nassau counties. The policy of the New York State Department of Transportation and the Republic Airport Commission shall be that Republic Airport continue to better serve Long Island."
Whatever the future holds for it, it has a nine-decade foundation upon which to base it, as acknowledged by the plaque hung in the passenger terminal by the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society, "honor(ing) the tens of thousands of men and women who labored here in East Farmingdale, contributing significantly to aviation technology and aircraft production." Those men and woman turned the wheels of the 11 aviation companies based there.
Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society website.
Neubeck, Ken, and Douglas, Leroy E. Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2016.
2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update, New York State Department of Transportation.